SCM

Pages

Friday, September 14, 2018

Reflection for Raleigh Expedition- Guide to Life


Raleigh Expedition Trek provides me a platform that doesn't only help me to build physical capability but also build new knowledge base- the jungle survival skills, how to build a shelter, to get food supply from the forest supermarket, and the most important thing you need to build, your mind.  
For most of us, heavy rucksacks, fear of unable to catch up with the speed of the group, the jungle spirit and failure to set up our hammocks are definitely a  big challenge and concern.
We started first with continuous rainy days and got drenched for most night, the cold was unbearable. The taught of giving up flashed through my mind for multiple time.
However, I eventually realise that if you view the task as the dreary chore, not only would you be unhappy everyday, but your sense of self worth would be shattered. 
We occasionally grumbled on the work, take this job and shove it are not words to use
Thus keeping an positive attitude
definitely do keep me engaged and enthusiastic about relished the physically of working.

Raleigh have taught us that perspective on life and how to approach, do it simple way and life is beautiful ( quote from Malcolm from UK)

Trek build up our leadership skill lot more than I expected (quote from Izzy from Scotland) Getting all the venturers on their foot early morning at 5am was definitely the hardest thing, time efficacy and giving clear instruction to all, learning to be motivative and took up certain amount of responsibility are the qualities needed as the leader.
Getting into jungle depends on many variables and  circumstance that entire beyond an individual control, the morning chores was done well but mishap do slow things down.
During the trek to the Munsip Camp, one of our fellow venturers fell downhill and got scratched over neck and face but luckily was saved by our guide, another broke his specs' nose piece in the mud and we spent hours looking for it. We encountered snake attack, the missing food that prolly made us ended up with starvation. Thus, I hav learnt that the only thing that would really qualified as worst  would be not having plan on how to cope with.

More to that, teamwork comes into account in every possible senario. Anyone can achieve anything they put their mind to no matter how hard it is especially if u work as a team. (quote from Sophie from UK)


Raleigh Trek taught us to sweat the small stuffs, grow tougher and resilient than we expected.  ( quote from Yokie, HCV) 
When I first started the journey, I was forced to look inside myself to try to figure out why i wasnt ready. Am I not assertive enough, or too tired?
I struggled ascending the hill, fall multiple times, thought I gonna broke my spine. 
On an occasion, one of the venturers fell sick and the guide had to carry the 2 rucksacks up to weight of 40kg and still never grumbled, how they always being resourceful and be innovative, and utilise everything the jungle can provide, "the jungle is not just a habitat but a supermarket that you can get everything you need" quote from Henry, the guide.
People say not what you remember about a person is not what they do but how they make you feel.
Our guide never fail to show care and love in every single difficulty. They make sure us have plenty of food and never exhaust ourselves. 

The memory of how the guides assist us on river crossing by carrying our heavy bag across despite the risk of getting carry away by the rapid river flow.



part 3 
Family is the word to go for after spending weeks together. 

We also learn to be more appreciative of urban life such as easy accessibility to water sources and be less dependent on social media( quote from yokie) 

I remember the time while meditating on the rock in waterfall camp, closing my eyes and listening to the hissing of the wind , I go against my survival instinct, enjoying curiously peaceful moment, stimulate all my senses

I felt I am living in harmony with the surrounding ( quote from Juana from China)

Everything feel real yet surreal, the way a particular vivid dream did and it intensifies everytime i scroll through the photos, the moment spent, the different nationality that doesn't become a barrier but understanding of our difference made us closer. 

I learn to trust each other, be supportive and I felt more accomplished, achieve more than i thought I could( quote from Izzie from Australia)


No comments:

Post a Comment