SCM

Pages

Thursday, September 13, 2018

Raleigh Borneo Trek Adventure Journal in Sabah #15 days

Day 1- 2/8- Baraba
Today is a gloomy day and more than that I realised there are some insects that lay eggs on the jacket that I hang on the washing line.
and God knows I have tryptophobia and It freaked me out.
Thanks to Chris and Pete,  I master the art of utilising the rucksacks, never ever in my life I bothered about all the buckles on the bags and now I found it so useful.
The journey to Baraba was really hard with the heavy rucksacks of nearly half of my weight and I am not bluffing!!! I fall so many times that I nearly gave up.
It took us 3 hours to reach the campsite and set up the fire, put up the hammocks, do the radio comms as well as digging the long drop...


Day 2- 3/8
The night was long and I vomitted for at least 4 times for the night. I had migraine after the night briefing and it rained heavily for the whole night. I woke up few times for the night and tried to find my panadol but the rain was so heavy that I got myself drenched as the top above the hammock wan't enough to cover myself. I had fever after and I felt so bad. Consequently I had a few bad dream (prolly due to the side effect of the doxycyline that I took everyday). I dreamt that I was nearly dead and the helicopter was here to pick up my dead body. I am all wet when I woke up, wasn't sure if it is sweat, rain or my vomitus 

Day 3- 4/8 Giant leech
My day as a day leader and I have to wake up much earlier than the others.
6 hours trek does scared me a little.
I really like being in the jungle, sleeping on the hammock, guess I started to enjoy it.
It is just that I am so bad in expressing my opinion and it turned out to be one of the biggest issue because most of us don't speak out. Jon lost his spec stand so he was a bit annoyed this morning.
We delayed our departure time and only departed at 9am. I thought we only gonna arrived at 2pm but we arrived in only 3 hrs time. On the way we learnt on how to drink from bamboo.
We made group massage on the way and it was great.
At the campsite,  Izzie and I who supposed to fill up the jelly bean but It was pretty heavy so I got half full instead and ended up have to refill itagain.

Day 4- 5/8  Boot Sauna
Also known as river crossing day, I had one to one chat with Chris today the journey was mostly talk with Chris. I suggested on more organised fun to get everyone together and he requested if I am interested to plan it with Izzie.

We also brainstorming the idead for loop and changeover. 
I organised the games on 2 lies and 1 truth and Kent shared some spirit stories of each campsite with us. We had great time with the guides. They cooked plenty of food for us and since then we had second meeting everytime after the briefing.

Day 4- 6/8rest day in boot sauna
we woke up late for the day and Kelvin was the day leader, pretty damn day, rain non stop since I woke up.
We enjoyed our morning session by visiting the nearby village and got ourselves some " TuHao" which basically made of ginger and flower and dried chilli, prickled with the vinegar, salt and scallion. It is known as tradional Sabahan food and originated from Tambunan, Keningau, Ranau and it is best served with white rice. We spent time under bamboo hut for crafting session in the afternoon.

Day 5- 7/8 - Rogan Ghost camp
Day leader-  Sophie

One of the hardest trek for the day, all the way up ascending up the hill, pretty challenging that I hardly catch my breath. We had plenty stops but we made it in 4 hours.
We then had a chilling afternoon, another one to one talk with pete on my self development and expectation
The briefing ended with another heavy rain and again our guide cooked us Maggie as super.

Day 6- 8/8 - Haunt Frog camp
Day leader - Syafiq
Haunt Frog hasn’t been assessed for year and well known for its fire ants! There wasn’t proper fireplace and benches so we need to work it out ourselves. Today Pete wasn’t feeling well, as a mountain guide, he is pretty tough. I was given the task to make sure the fireplace and benches will all be done on time. Kuno did most of the task and we barely helped. They were really nice people and did so many things for us and knowing how little is their salary does make me feel they deserve more. 
I got bitten by the fire ants and it is killing me, had plenty of antihistamine to prevent the allergic reaction. Also all the bees just gathered around my rucksacks due to the soy sauce that I spilt.

Day 7 -9/8 Phillip camp
Day leader –Izzy Scotland
We had the loop changeover performance and I am taking the role as the juggler and I had no idea how to juggle at all. Pete left us the morning due to his leg infection and deep down i hope that he will come back.
I had Kuno helping me to set the radio and got shower, my first shower in a week and I feel so good.

Day 8-10/8 - rest day
We had survival learning practise and Henry was awesome. They literally just set up the fire using the bamboo and I tried few days but couldn’t do it
I learn to play the cheat head at night and I never play it before
so A - challenge either A,2,3,10
2- smallest or zero
3- invisible card
10 or repeat 4 cards- burn card

I forget another game with chris the other night
sound like spade Q is the exception and no card is the best.

Day 9-12/8 Kulin Tangan camp
It is the place with stories of head hunters victim whispering under hammock. After the changeover means we had more food to carry again and I was really heavy for my size. The guides were really nice and they helped me to carry some tins and reduce the weight of my bag.

Day 10-13/8 Muncit camp
Today path is pretty steep, Izzie nearly fall down the cliff but syafiq got her before she falls. Jon and Marjunney got fever last night but getting slight better. Little did I know that Jon caught malaria after.
Kuno has to carry two rucksacks coz Jon couldn't carry it due to his sickness.

Day 11- 12-14-15/8 rest day in waterfall camp
Tonight they told us they had a surprise and little did I know that it was to kill the chicken in front of us, Izzy and Shafiq couldnt take it and decided to be vegetarian for a day.
We had star gazing together and i couldnt stop laughing when shafiq kept talking about star and how to survive if we get lost at night

Day 13-15/8 bongkawas camp
I was pretty emo today, refused to go up for meeting after briefing. I guess I am just feeling sad that the trek is gonna end soon.

Day 14-  Survival camp
We had lot of fun today. We all danced together and do the dance sabahan kuih which means blossom flower.
Then, Kilon brought along shao rou, and it was real nice.
The very last night together made my heart ached.

Day 15-last day
Mixture of feeling, I really enjoy spending time with them but at the meantime I missed good food and my comfy bed and I hate leeches that bite me every single days and all the mosquitos and ants that just annoying. Kuno made all of us the bracelets and some of us ring but I lost it while going for shower. I felt sad.





the day of departure

Juana from China and Izzie from Australia




Cavin and Marjunney, the Dusun -ian





Malcolm from UK


Village near Boot Sauna



the HCV Jackson


Henry and his daughter







back to basecamp


No comments:

Post a Comment